STEWARTS: YESTERDAY AND TODAY
E.W. Stewart Lumber Company was organized by Emit Wilson Stewart in 1921 as a saw mill.
E. W. Stewart
During the early 1940's, E. W. Stewart Lumber Company began to emphasize residential and commercial construction along with retail building supplies. For thirty years, the emphasis was on a construction oriented company.
The 1970's were very prosperous years for building in the Dickson County area. However, Stewart's made the decision to stop building and start supplying the home builder and consumer with construction supplies. With this decision, the company continued to grow. During this period 20,000 square foot of new warehouses were constructed. In the fall of 1976, there was a new shop opened to manufacture door units. This period led to a wider mix in products furnished and inventories literally doubled. The company progressed to lead the area as the largest building supply company.
In the summer of 1985, Stewart Lumber Company expanded their operations in the Nashville area with a new location on Mallory Lane in Brentwood, Tennessee. Over the years, Stewart steadily grew with more locations and a truss plant.
With the housing market recession in the United States in the late 2000's, a lot of building supply companies found themselves going out of business. But with the good decision making and perseverance, Stewart's endured to focus on serving the customer and restructuring the company to its current three locations in Dickson, Brentwood and Hopkinsville.
In 2005, Stewart Lumber Company changed its name to Stewart Builder Supply to better focus on our expanded inventory and services provided to the community other than just being recognized as a lumber yard.
Today, due to dedication and customer service from our employees, Stewart continues to be one of the largest building suppliers in Middle TN.
E.W. Stewart with a group of workers in 1921 when Stewart Lumber was established.
Bill Stewart, President
LMC - Together We Build
The construction industry will lead the way. LMC and You, Together We Build